Business Maths: Logistics and Planning
Effective and necessary calculation within logistics and planning
In the modern business world it is essential to minimise costs wherever possible, and clear planning along with accurate management of manpower and resources is fundamental to keeping costs down and ensuring survival of any type of business in all sectors of industry. Logistics has grown from a “good way of doing things” into a science, and mathematics has then taken that science to the next level allowing it to be easily applied to the bottom line, and growing the profit margin.
This one day Business Maths course introduces delegates to the methods and processes used to enable us to quantify everyday problems leading to accurate calculations. Good and accurate mathematical models can and will improve logistical functions, strengthen project planning, and will reduce costs and identify exactly where we can maximise profit.
This intensive practical workshop will start delegates off to using strong mathematical models and algorithms and build on this with some higher level ideas and tools extending to:
- Bin packing algorithms
- Identifying the most efficient was to pack multiple varying sizes into minimum amount of bins
- Minimising mileage / travel costs
- Using the classic travelling salesman problem
- Knocking on every door with the minimum amount of shoe leather
- Using the classic Chinese postman problem
- Maximising profit / minimising costs
- Using strong mathematical models to identify the correct application of varying criteria
- Efficient project / job planning
- Applying Gant charts in order to apply resources and workforce to an optimu
- Manipulating Gant charts to improve the resources to hand
Aims and Objectives
- Refresh and consolidate mathematics knowledge & understanding
- Take some of that knowledge and understanding to model “real-life” situations.
- Develop an awareness and understanding of improving day to day business practices with strong mathematical models.
- Understand how some of the mathematical techniques can be used in management tools such as spreadsheets
The core focus of the workshop will be refreshing and building mathematics knowledge relevant to management and business. However, the workshop will also provide an opportunity for participants to become more confident in their own knowledge of, and use of applying accurate numerical models to logistical functions.
The training course will cover the following areas:
- Introductions and personal viewpoints
- A run through or refresher of basic mathematics terminology, symbols, terms and disciplines
- The main disciplines covered in more detail
- Packing algorithms
- Travelling salesman problem
- Chinese postman problem
- Maximising profit / minimising cost
- Efficient project planning
- Discussion about usage, problems and benefits
- Working through some real problems and using a variety of solutions by applying different maths disciplines
- Summing up and personal challenges, signposting for further development
Who Should Attend this Training?
This workshop will be of interest to delegates from all types of organisations and sectors who use mathematics as part of their work and who would benefit from extending and developing their understanding and skills.
The day will suit delegates of all levels with some mathematics knowledge and understanding. The learning will be interactive with exercises, discussions and examples delivered in a fun and non-threatening manner.Where this workshop is delivered “in-house” the client may specify areas of knowledge and techniques which they wish to be specifically covered. At “open” events similar flexible focus can take place subject to the agreement of the group and when the basic content has been covered.
|Open Events for this Topic|
There are no open events scheduled for this topic.
Many of our events are run as open events at various locations around the UK. See the Events Diary for scheduled events. All topics can be run as internal events on your premises.
|In-house Event for Your Organisation|
We can run this topic as an in-house event for your organisation on your premises. This can
provide a high quality and cost effective staff development route.
This workshop is Price Band BMore»
This training course is delivered in a workshop style. It is highly participative with a blend of presentation, group exercises and debate. A comprehensive delegate pack is included. .
To ensure effective levels of delegate participation, involvement and interaction, delegate numbers are restricted. This workshop is suitable for groups of 2 to 20 delegates.
Formal CPD certificates are provided after the event in a form which is acceptable as CPD evidence to many professional bodies and institutions.
The facilitator for this workshop is a highly experienced trainer with in-depth subject knowledge.