With the flatter management structures that operate within business today it is important both for short term success and longer term promotion that operational and even first line managers work in a strategic manner. There is increasing pressure to implement effective systems, policies and procedures that deliver results and excellent services. At its simplest level thought needs to be given to forward planning, team development and staff succession planning. Whilst more advanced strategic planning may include cascading business development targets to team members and linking these to appraisals and performance reviews.
This one day workshop explores the typical roles and responsibilities of operational and first line managers and considers how, where and when a more strategic and forward thinking management style could deliver improved team and personal performance across the short, medium and longer terms.
In doing so the workshop also helps to prepare participants for and increase their chances of internal promotion and progression.
This one day workshop enables participants to understand better, the key attributes and approaches that underpin a strategic approach to management and help to develop the key skills and styles that will allow participants to be more effective when adopting and applying a strategic approach to management.
Participants will receive helpful personal feedback from the course tutor on their strengths and development; enabling engagement in a process of continuous and thorough development.
By the end of this course participants will be better able to:
- Implement sustainable systems for continuous service improvement
- Devise, design and implement a coherent plan for team improvement
- Identify appropriate criteria for assessment of team effectiveness
- Appraise the skills, knowledge and ability requirements for senior managers
- Identify areas of personal strength and areas for further development
- Plan and manage the changes required
In working towards the above aims, participants will explore how to:
- Capture, organise and utilise key team and organisational performance data
- Respond confidently appropriately to a challenging economic environment
- Confidently communicate those messages to employees
- Analyse and identify good practice
- Set their sights on delivering higher-than-average performances
- Plan and manage change effectively
Who would benefit from attending this workshop?
This intensive one-day workshop is designed for operational and first line managers who have responsibility for team performance and are looking to adopt a more strategic and less re-active management style. The workshop is likely to be of special interest to managers who constantly feel as if they are “fire fighting”, looking for promotion, have recently or are expected in the near future to take on greater responsibility and/or have more direct reportees.
This workshop may also be of interest to experienced managers, trainers and staff development professionals who are tasked with training, mentoring and/or supporting operational and non strategic managers in progressing to more senior roles.
'Good eye opener - Identifies gaps.'
Ops Manager, Qube Learning
'Very helpful course & practical guide to strategy management.'
Branch Library Manager, Borough of Poole
'Open up mind to new ideas and give you confidence in what you know. Consider where you want to go.'
Assistant Curriculum Manager, St Brendans Sixth Form College
'Energetic and highly motivated. Enthuses collegues, motivating discussion amongst colleagues.'
Deputy Head, Willoughby Road Primary
'Very good, straight forward, straight talking session introducing the concept of strategic management and leadership.'
Youth Development Hub Manager, Lincolnshire County Council
'An interesting course on what makes a strategic manager with an emphasis on quality control.'
Curriculum Leader, Solihull Sixth Form College
1. Planning for success
- Completing the management hierarchy matrix
- How to engage staff in the strategic planning process
- Relating performance management results to corporate objectives
- Involving stakeholders and wider interests to strengthen performance
- Communicating and maximising your success!
2. Empowering staff and delegating effectively
- How and when to delegate
- Identifying staff for promotion through skills auditing
- Identifying the challenges of delegation
- Ensuring positive outcomes for all staff
- Preparing and supporting redundant staff
3. Embedding continuous service improvement
- Understanding and reflecting quality standards, systems and processes
- Identifying and setting SMART objectives in the goal setting process
- Setting up internal quality procedures for continuous service improvement
- Using positive communication to manage change
4. Moving From Operational to Strategic Management
- From ‘following’ to ‘leading’ – your transition and journey
- Identifying the skills, knowledge and experience [SKE] of the strategic manager
- Identifying the changes and distance to be travelled
- Exceeding corporate expectations – your company and you
5. Action Planning
- How to apply the knowledge and skills
- Personal Implementation and Development Plans
- What has been learned?
There are no open events scheduled for this topic.
Many of our events are run as open events at various locations around the UK.
See the Events Diary for scheduled events. All topics can be run as
internal events on your premises.
In-house Event for Your Organisation
We can run this topic as an in-house event for your organisation on your premises. This can
provide a high quality and cost effective staff development route.
This workshop is Price Band C
This training course is delivered in a workshop style. It is highly participative with a blend of presentation, group exercises and debate. A comprehensive delegate pack is included. .
To ensure effective levels of delegate participation, involvement and interaction, delegate numbers are restricted. This workshop is suitable for groups of 2 to 20 delegates.
Formal CPD certificates are provided after the event in a form which is acceptable as CPD evidence to many professional bodies and institutions.
The facilitator for this workshop is a highly experienced trainer with in-depth subject knowledge.