Business Maths: Applications for Managers & Technical Staff
Advancing Mathematics & Numeracy knowledge to improve effectiveness in the work place
Many managers and business people find that their progress at work would be significantly more dynamic if their mathematics teaching at school had created a more adequate foundation. The modern business environment often requires mathematics knowledge and skills to understand or manipulate data, produce pricing or costing models, forecast performance in addition to the technical requirements of the work.
Taking advantage of the power and capabilities of spreadsheets, databases and other apps needs an understanding of how these tools work and some of the techniques to use them beneficially.
This one-day intensive interactive workshop will start with a refresher of the basic understanding of GCSE mathematics and builds on this with some higher level ideas and tools extending to:
- Arithmetic tips and tools including data manipulation in spreadsheets
- Speeding up building and linking spreadsheets (with pricing, costing and budgeting models)
- Understanding, building and using algebraic terms and formulae
- The basics of statistics
- Geometry and trigonometry refresher
- Introduction to Boolean algebra for spreadsheet sorting and database queries
The core focus of the workshop will be refreshing and building mathematics knowledge relevant to management and business. However, the workshop will also provide an opportunity for participants to become more confident in their own knowledge of, and approach to using mathematics more generally, helping them to be innovative in the use of other modern management tools and apps consistent with good mathematics practice.
The day will suit delegates of all levels with some basic mathematics knowledge and understanding. The learning will be interactive with exercises, discussions and examples delivered in a fun and non-threatening manner.
Where this workshop is delivered “in-house” the client may specify areas of knowledge and techniques which they wish to be specifically covered. At “open” events similar flexible focus can take place subject to the agreement of the group and when the basic content has been covered.
Who Should Attend?
This workshop will be of interest to delegates from all types of organisations and sectors who use mathematics as part of their work and who would benefit from extending and developing their understanding and skills.
Aims and Objectives
- Refresh and consolidate basic mathematics knowledge & understanding
- Take some of that knowledge and understanding up to and beyond the top end of GCSE
- Develop an awareness and understanding of some mathematics topics not covered in the GCSE curriculum
- Understand how some of the mathematical techniques can be used in management tools such as spreadsheets
- Introductions and personal viewpoints
- A run through or refresher of basic mathematics terminology, symbols, terms and disciplines
- The main disciplines covered in more detail
- Arithmetic and operators
- Problem solving and Boolean logic
- Discussion about usage, problems and benefits
- Working through some real problems and using a variety of solutions by applying different maths disciplines
- Spreadsheets – the start of the journey from slave to master. Understanding types of number and cells, Clever and selective summing and analysis, Links to other sheet and pages.
- Spreadsheet and database structures more Boolean techniques for queries filters and selections
- Summing up and personal challenges, signposting for further development
|Open Events for this Topic|
There are no open events scheduled for this topic.
Many of our events are run as open events at various locations around the UK. See the Events Diary for scheduled events. All topics can be run as internal events on your premises.
|In-house Event for Your Organisation|
We can run this topic as an in-house event for your organisation on your premises. This can
provide a high quality and cost effective staff development route.
This workshop is Price Band BMore»
This training course is delivered in a workshop style. It is highly participative with a blend of presentation, group exercises and debate. A comprehensive delegate pack is included. .
To ensure effective levels of delegate participation, involvement and interaction, delegate numbers are restricted. This workshop is suitable for groups of 2 to 20 delegates.
Formal CPD certificates are provided after the event in a form which is acceptable as CPD evidence to many professional bodies and institutions.
The facilitator for this workshop is a highly experienced trainer with in-depth subject knowledge.