Moving into Self-Employment
Downsizing in the public sector, Government cuts and fewer employment opportunities are leading to growing uncertainty for many staff in all job sectors including public service, the private sector, adult education, local authorities and related governmental employment. In the short term, there is unlikely to be substantial job growth in the public sector or with other large employers. This means that most new jobs and subsequent economic growth will have to be come from self employment, micro-businesses and SMEs.
This one day workshop is focused on the issues and approaches needed when seriously considering self-employment as positive alternative.
Conceiving, starting up or even working in a small business often requires different skills, an additional knowledge base and a different mindset.
The workshop is also designed with organisations in mind who are faced with implementing redundancy programmes, and works very well as an internal training event.
The upside of the current economic climate for those considering entry into self-employment is that the public sector will still need a range of support from the private sector. They are suggesting that they will use more local businesses, consultants, interim managers and other out-sourced services to continue these functions.
Combined with this is the opportunity to both realise your potential and focus on activities which you have aspired to for some time or not previously utilised.
- Becoming a consultant
- Exploiting a hobby into a business
- Interim management work
- Self-employed training or project work
- Developing into social enterprise
- Using the volunteering route
This workshop is designed to address the needs, aspirations and reality of moving into self-employment or related activities. It is not about polishing up the CV or sharpening up rusty interview techniques, but moving in a new direction.
It will address the basics of setting up a self-employed and/or as a micro business or limited company. The means of evaluating your skills, experience, talent and motivation will be covered as will the financial implications. The day will move on to marketing and sales both in traditional methods and the possibilities of the internet and the new personal media.
In London and at larger provincial events this workshop will be jointly facilitated by a minimum of two of NTRL’s top Facilitators/Consultants.
Smaller regional events will be facilitated by the same calibre consultants according to the numbers attending; with these formats allowing for some personal guidance. The workshop has been designed with a careful balance of information and guidance, and a range of interactive and participative exercises that aim to help you fully explore the potential and opportunities of Moving into Self-employment.
The workshop draws on the experience and knowledge of self-employed Consultants and experts with considerable success in their fields.
The workshop will cover:
- Skills, Knowledge and abilities
- Reviewing options – consultancy, hobby to business, interim management, self employment & company development, developing a community group or social enterprise & volunteering
- Personal attributes & skills
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Defining services and costs
- Using the net- web based interaction
- The characteristics of successful self employment, consultancy and company/social enterprise development- what you need to do to get there
- Expanding your skills and knowledge base
- Case studies
Delegates will be able to:
- Confidently determine their most appropriate direction of career development
- Focus on key opportunities using IT and web intelligence
- Develop a personal strategy for moving head in their chosen option/s
Who Should Attend?
- Those considering a move into Self-employment
- Employees facing potential redundancy
- Those taking early part-retirement
- People finding it impossible to get back into the employed job market
|Open Events for this Topic|
There are no open events scheduled for this topic.
Many of our events are run as open events at various locations around the UK. See the Events Diary for scheduled events. All topics can be run as internal events on your premises.
|In-house Event for Your Organisation|
We can run this topic as an in-house event for your organisation on your premises. This can
provide a high quality and cost effective staff development route.
This workshop is Price Band BMore»
This training course is delivered in a workshop style. It is highly participative with a blend of presentation, group exercises and debate. A comprehensive delegate pack is included. .
To ensure effective levels of delegate participation, involvement and interaction, delegate numbers are restricted. This workshop is suitable for groups of 2 to 20 delegates.
Formal CPD certificates are provided after the event in a form which is acceptable as CPD evidence to many professional bodies and institutions.
The facilitator for this workshop is a highly experienced trainer with in-depth subject knowledge.